Saturday, July 4, 2009

Here is a short story with a beautiful message.....


Little girl and her father were crossing a bridge.

The father was kind of scared so he asked his little daughter,

'Sweetheart, please hold my hand so that you don't fall into the river.'

The little girl said, 'No, Dad. You hold my hand.'

'What's the difference?' Asked the puzzled father.

'There's a big difference,' replied the little girl.

'If I hold your hand and something happens to me, chances are that I may let your hand go. But if you hold my hand, I know for sure that no matter what happens, you will never let my hand go.'


In any relationship, the essence of trust is not in its bind, but in its bond.

So hold the hand of the person who loves you rather than expecting them to hold yours...

This message is short......but carries a lot of Feelings.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Seok Binn,
    that is an inspiring message... My Hope n wish To hold every child's hand within our reach when working with children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this story! Whenever my daughters want to hold my hand, I will hold their hand instead because I know that I will be able to control better if anything happen. Always tell the person you love: You love them before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the very lovely story Seok Bin. Now I wonder if you could imagine an alternative to the same story. Can you allow yourself to see the same story in a critical way, stretching your imagination and perspective. Say for example... seeing the various possible suggested imagery and metaphor contained in it. The story uses 'father' and 'daughter' - why? Could it have use 'mother' and 'daughter' or 'mother' and 'son' Would it have made a different resonnace to the listener and make a similar impact? In the story, they were 'crossing the bridge' which make the father 'scared' - If the 'crossing the bridge' was a symbolic metaphor what various connections could you brainstorm to come up with potential implicit meanings. E.g. Bridges = transitions, moving or 'changing' from one state, status, place, emotions, development etc to another. Transistions are 'unpredictable moments' which normally aroused anxiety of the 'things' to come. 'Falling into the river' if you allow yourself to imaginatively play with that statement again to open up further possiblities of meaning e.g. why river? water, etc the story could also use bridge over valley, bridge over gap, bridge over traffic, etc etc ?????

    I was playing imaginatively with the thought that if the little girl wants her father to hold on to her hand and never let go, how does the father learn to let her go when she grows up and have to cross 'bridges' /'transistion' e.g. marriage,etc. Does it reflects some of the very subtle cultural assumption about women and men? Consider 'never let go' vs 'letting go' as a theme. Can you find similar stories that may advocate the other side of the coin and be as emotional moving as this one? I am being provocative in the hope that you will allow your imagination to be expansive and critical and not limited to convention.

    ReplyDelete